Thursday, December 5, 2013

Meetup.com

I recently read on SS about a site called Meetup that is all about, wait for it... people meeting up.   Strangers meeting up with other strangers.  For coffee, dinner, a movie, walking, fun weekends, art and crafts, just about anything.  Some of the Meetup groups have hundreds of members, some only a few.  And I daresay, some of those strangers would become friends.  That can't be bad.

http://www.meetup.com is world wide but there are no groups in my town nor the 2 towns closest to me.  A few over in Mandurah though and I liked the sound of one of them so I joined up.  They are having coffee and cake in Barragup one morning soon and I am hoping that I get up enough guts to actually go.  I'm always whinging about having no friends and never going anywhere so if I don't take advantage of this group I'll have no-one to blame but myself.  The place where they are going, Decadent C's, is not on my list of places that I want to go to, I have actually read about it and heard from someone that has been and decided that it wasn't for me but this will give me a chance to give them a chance. 

Has anyone here heard of this site?  Is anyone a member?   Have a look at it and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Barb,
    yes, I have heard of them for about ten years or so. I live 50 miles from the nearest meetups. Meetups always have a theme or specific interest--birdwatchers, hikers, bikers, mothers of toddlers, political, etc. So, what is the focus of this group--eating chocolate? I would certainly join one like that here!

    I always complain I have no social life and do not take advantage of abou 100 Meetups that are sent to me each month. Sooo, I guess I should stop whining? Good luck. Take pictures. Send me some chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, the group I joined is small, 14 women and the focus seems to be on just getting together and doing different things. Coffee and chat or whatever and if someone wants something they can suggest that and see who is up for it. It sounds like it could be fun. Mandurah is a 40min drive from me but it will only take me half an hour to get to this one in Barragup.
    Why don't you go to one? Is it the distance?

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      Some of these groups have six members. Some have 50. I am not up for hiking, dancing, or bird watching. The distance, the cost of gas, and the long sitting time all have me procrastinating. I swore at the first of the year I was going to improve my social life. As it turns out, I am doing less. Even two blocks walking to get to a festival is too much for me. probably my physical condition stops me more than anything.

      Delete