Thursday, October 18, 2012

Grass Cutting.

After killing both grass cutting machines it seems funny walking outside and having most of the grass everywhere down to a nearly manageable condition.  How can this be you ask?  C'mon, I know you asked, because you're interested, right.  Let's go with that. lol.

Son shoved a bit of rag into my mower to hold the bit that came apart together and it starts.  Well, he can start it, apparently my pulling power is not what it was and I cannot get it going first time.  Once it's been started I can restart it easy as but that first pull...I need to wait until someone does it for me.  I re-corded the whippersnipper so edges can be done...but the main thing...Husband bought himself a toy.  A massive ride-on.  It has more grunt than anything else here and cuts through thick and wet grass that is higher than my knees.  Brilliant machine.  Yes I too had a little play go at using it and it seems easy enough.  I cannot get it into my head though that it is a better way to mow.  It is quicker, cuts more, the dam area has shortish grass for the first time in 7 months...but sitting on it and riding around it's like...*this is no how you mow the grass*  I think it is because I have started thinking of the mowing as an exercise thing and sitting down and not walking and pushing doesn't seem right.  Hubby and son both love it so I am thinking that I will no longer have to worry about the dam area and the front outside the fence area as one of them will be onto it as soon as it looks long enough to be a fox hiding area or an *careful of snakes* area.

I on the other hand, will use the smaller *proper* mower to do around the house area and feel all virtuous while huffing and puffing and walking around pushing the ruddy thing.  I will think of the chookfood and mulch that I am collecting with a smug smile every time I empty the catcher.   I will whinge and bitch when I need to rake the massive about of grass that HIS! machine has cut and just left lying on the ground...Yep, the great mowing machine doesn't have a catcher, I hate that!  Not really but it sounds dramatic doesn't it. 

It doesn't have a catcher and there is a lot of cut grass that needs picking up but when it dries a bit I will pick it up and throw it into the chookpens.  It wont take long, not worth whinging about and really not worth mentioning.  I mentioned it because that is the sort of person I am...I mention things...

Son got my mower started yesterday and I mowed until I ran out of petrol but it was getting late and instead of refuelling and finishing the job I gave up...I'm hoping I'll be able to start it today otherwise I will need to wait until he, or someone with more muscle than me, comes out.

The race is on though as I want to get all the around the house area done so there can be no comments about me and my puny little mower when he gets home.   And that could be anytime so I have no time for slacking off.  Better go pick up the passionfruit so they don't get chopped up.













3 comments:

  1. It does seem like you are always mowing, needing to mow, or whining about mowing...lol. Mowing is a hard job! I had a lawnmower that was hard to start. One day the mailman came by and I enlisted his help as he stepped back off my porch. I even asked a jogger one day. I imagine all joggers avoided my corner.

    There will be bugs in the green cut grass. My hens go nuts for fresh cut grass. I wish I could see what they see.

    If the riding mower does not have springs under the seat, make sure they use a foam cushion. My friend never had back trouble until he bought a cheap riding mower. Of course, the one with springs under the seat cost $1000 dollars more!

    I am proud for you. Now, maybe the predators will not favor your chickens coops. You should all feel safer now. I would fret about places for predators to hide and slink up to get my hens!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Linda, yep I do whinge about mowing but there is so much, so often...it's all in fun though...mostly...
    Thanks, I am proud of me too. lol.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you already HAVE a ride-on mower?

    ReplyDelete