Friday, April 13, 2012

Get Some Seeds In...

We are nearly halfway through April and I have not put anything new in the ground for weeks, probably closer to months...This will change as from this weekend.  I know, it should be from today but today I have other stuff to do.  Yep that's right, I can't even manage 10minutes to bung in a few seeds...
What a load of ****   Of course I have 10 spare minutes.  I've been on this thing for nearly an hour already, that would have seen a lot of seeds planted...if it wasn't too dark outside to see...

Today I plan on getting a seed planting area sorted.  Somewhere that the chooks and chickens can't get to that is close to where I am passing so it doesn't get forgotton as has happened too often up to now.   I will get the seeds sorted and work out what I need...I know I have another heap of seeds somewhere but cannot find them so will have a proper look for them.   I'm not sure if I have any seedraising mix left so might have to put something together as I am too tight to go and buy anything.   Hmmm  Tight is such a negative word and as I want to be sustainable in how I plant and grow things buying stuff in is not in my plans.  It's not that I am *tight* as such, it's that I want to be self sufficient with the gardens.   I want everything to stay here and come from here, I don't want to buy fertilizers or soil or compost etc.  It all has to come from this place not some place miles and miles away.

Ten things planted by the end of the month sounds good but I can't think of 10 things that I have or want...so I'll say 6.  I will get at least 6 different things in the ground or in seedtrays by the end of the month.  That sounds more doable for me.  I hope I can find 6 things that we like to eat...

I will buy in seedlings if I have to ...I'm thinking I don't have any Spinach seeds left so I won't feel too bad about buying seedlings if I need to but don't know where from as I have no plans on going to any shops.  Might have to call in somewhere next Thursday.

So there's the plan.  What have you, or will you, plant this month?

5 comments:

  1. Barb,
    Maybe you are just parsimonious. Parsimony is extreme reluctance to spend money. Parsimony + sustainable might be your stance?

    I leaned the racks from ovens against the house over bulbs the hens will scratch up. Things can grow throught the rack, yet hens cannot be to the ground. So far, all those lily bulbs have stayed in the ground, unlike last year when I would find them ten feet from the bed, waaay out into the yard where the hens had scratched them. Maybe this will give you some ideas about unorthodox ways to protect your plants. I wonder if boards or bricks laid down with chicken wire over them would thwart the efforts of the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsimonious, that sounds like what I am but *tight* is easier to spell!

      Barb.

      Delete
  2. Perfect is the enemy of good, and the big enemy of good enough! Buying seedlings or seedraising mix is good enough and that's good enough. I find it's all about habits - the habit of picking up a bucket of creek sand when I go over the causeway, so that when I need seed raising mix, its there. The habit of planting a few seeds regularly, so they become seedlings and then I have to plant them out! I have no trouble at all thinking of 10 things good for planting this time of year - peas, snow peas, broad beans, spinach, onions, garlic, lettuce, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, coriander, silver beet, nasturtiums, leeks, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, chinese cabbage....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a lot of that so will get some in before next week.

      Barb.

      Delete