Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pineapples.

I few years ago I planted a Pineapple top.  I had it in a 1/2 x 44gallon drum and it was growing OK but didn't look like it would fruit anytime soon.  Where I had it was in the way and the leaves on it are prickly so Hubby shifted the pot into the orchard.  And I forgot about it for a few months.  Eventually I checked it out and noticed that it had a couple of smaller plants growing from it's base.
It took awhile but I finally got around to digging these out and left them in a bucket, I was going to plant them but *forgot*  As I do.

Fast forward a few weeks and I thought that I better get out there and plant the babies and guess what?  Yep!  The big plant has a pineapple coming out the top. 
So it's seems like it is good to neglect things as when
they think that they are going to die they try to reproduce.  

I have planted out the 2 small Pineapple plants and I have given the big one a decent drink and put some mulch around it as the chooks have been digging around it's base, and they all look good.

I now need to wait and see if the Pineapple makes it to maturity so we can eat it.  I will need to look up how long it takes for the fruit to get ripe.  I have heard that they should be picked during Summer as the fruit is sweeter then but I don't want to wait until next summer and it looks too small to be ready by this one.
Does anyone know how long I may need to wait?  I will do some reading up about them this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment